We buy houses nationwide and sell our house in days in a new market with zero buyers. So, you don’t need a massive real estate cash buyer’s list to get started in real estate wholesaling. But it is good business to build a list of real estate cash buyers to market your properties to more people, which will lead to more offers, and get your houses sold faster and possibly a bidding war.
For us, we use these 34 ways to build a large cash buyer’s list. We let our cash buyer’s list know that we also are looking to buy more houses to keep as rentals or for renovation projects. So for me, my cash buyer’s list is also a lead source to buy houses.
There are three ways to build a list: online, offline and in person.
First, How to Capture Cash Buyer Leads Online
First well start with online ways to build a real estate cash buyer’s list 24/7.
There are two ways to capture leads online for your buyers list.
- Lead capturing website
- Squeeze page with an Irresistible Offer.
Lead capturing website is a standard website with a form that captures information. You can capture a lot of information on your real estate cash buyers or you can capture name and email.
Years ago when I was wholesaling in the Philadelphia market only, I wanted to know more about my cash buyer’s list so I captured as much information as possible. An example is the picture below.
Another example is more of a short form. This is what I use for my nationwide wholesale deals website. I ask for their name, email, phone number, and what states they buy houses. I segment my real estate cash buyer’s list by state. I do this so a buyer will not receive emails from me in states they do not buy houses.
Once the real estate cash buyer submits their contact info, they will be redirected to another website to gain access. If your offer is a Free Report then it needs a powerful headline. Example: The secret to buying houses 40-60% below Fair Market Value. A video would need an attention grabbing headline and description as well.
You can purchase easy to develop websites (squeeze page and traditional websites) for a reasonable price. You will also have to pay monthly or annual fees for hosting or to use their tools (such as web development). There are tons of companies out there to use. Search some or talk with people to learn which company they recommend. You will also need to register your domain (www.XYZ.com).
Online Ways to Find Real Estate Cash Buyers
Now that you know you need a website to easily capture data and create a cash buyer’s list, how do you drive people to your lead capturing website?
(1) Podcasts: if you are already a real estate investor get on other real estate podcasts. Direct people to your website or create your own podcast. This will create exposure and add credibility to your marketing.
(2) Videos or Blogs: create videos and blogs based on keywords that people search (example “investment property for sale”). At the end of your article or video the call to action should be to join your cash buyer’s list.
(3) Real Estate Forums: You can find real estate cash buyers on BiggerPockets and other real estate investor forums. In BiggerPockets Marketplace you can create ads for cash buyers. You can network and connect with other real estate investors and add them to your cash buyers list or have them sign up via your website. You can post your wholesale property deals on these real estate forums as well.
(4) Social Media: You can find real estate cash buyers on Facebook and LinkedIn. You can contact them and add them to your cash buyers list or have them sign up via your website. You can post your wholesale deals and rehabbed homes for sale on all your social media sites. Start off by briefly introducing yourself to the group or to an individual. Ask the real estate investor where they invest, what they buy, what type of investor are they, etc. Then ask them to join your buyers list.
- (5) Facebook Marketplace: to post your wholesale houses for sale
- (6) Facebook Groups: search Facebook for local real estate groups.There are plenty of real estate cash buyers looking for wholesale deals. You can ask people to join your cash buyers list or post your wholesale houses for sale
- (7) LinkedIn: it is full of real estate cash buyers. Search for real estate investor groups and then join these groups.Once you are in the same group as someone else, LinkedIn will let you send out messages to them without paying. As you make connections, find out who's buying properties and add them to your cash buyers list.
(8) Post Ads on Craigslist: You can post ads for cash home buyers in the real estate services and real estate wanted sections of Craigslist. You want to use the same marketing techniques I teach (5 M’s of marketing) when posting Craigslist ads to sell your houses.
(9) Search on Craigslist: You can search for real estate cash buyers on Craigslist in the sections: real estate wanted, real estate services, real estate for sale by owner. Gather their contact information and once you have a property you can contact the cash buyer.
(10) Post Your Houses for Sale: The best way to build your cash buyer’s list online is if you post a great house deal on Craigslist (real estate for sale section), Zillow, Facebook marketplace, and real estate forms. If it is a deal then the cash buyers will be calling you!! Get all of their info and add them to your cash buyer’s list. Also, you can create a call to action in your ad to have them sign up for your cash buyer’s list to be notified of future deals, if this house is not for them.
(11) Google: search for common investor keywords, then pick up the phone and call them or enter their contact info into your database. So for example, run a Google search for:
- we buy houses (city, area, county)
- sell house fast (city, area, county)
(12) GoSection.com: this is where landlords list their Section 8 properties for rent. Search in your city or county and you will have a list of properties with a person's name and phone number. Call these people and ask if they are interested in purchasing your property for sale and add them to your cash buyer’s list.
(13) Google Adwords (Pay Per Click): Google’s PPC marketing can absolutely be one of the most effective and fastest ways to get your offer in front of people online. But it can also cost you a lot of money if you’re not careful. Take the time to educate yourself and some trial and error to have success with Google AdWords. So first you will need to learn how Google AdWords work. There is plenty of free and paid training online. Determine the keywords phrase and geographical area you want your paid ad to show up for. You need a good headline and subheadline to capture someone’s attention. Once they click, they will go to your lead capture website where they can sign up for your real estate cash buyer’s list.
(14) Facebook Ads: Well like Google, Facebook ads are Pay Per Click, but one of the biggest benefits Facebook has over Google is how granular and specific you can get drilling into specific types of people with your ad. There is location specific and interest specific. Location specific is for example people within a 10 mile radius of you. Interest specific searches if someone likes real estate investing books or part of a specific Facebook group. You need a good headline and subheadline to capture someone’s attention. Once they click, they will go to your lead capture website where they can sign up for your real estate cash buyer’s list.
MLS: You need to have access to the MLS or have a real estate agent who’ll work with you. Two ways to find cash buyers on the MLS.
(15) First, when running comps on properties, for the properties that sold for cash copy the address and paste into a file. Later you can look up the address and find the entity or person and if their mailing address is different than the subject property that is most like a real estate cash buyer.
(16) Second, check out the recent cash sales in your area. Search all solds in the last 6-12 months where the financing type was “cash”. If they are not owner occupants (mailing address is different from the property address), then they are real estate cash buyers. If you see multiple cash buys these are obviously the big time real estate investors.
(17) HUD Home Store: www.hudhomestore.com is a place we and other real estate investors bid on HUD houses to buy. However, if you select Bid Results you can sort by Purchaser Type = INV. These are real estate investors. Gather the property address in each investor sale into a spreadsheet. Then check the property address in public records to get the investor’s name and mailing address. This may take a few weeks or months after the sale, for the county website to show the new deed with the new investor owner.
That wraps up online marketing for cash buyers. Next we’ll cover offline marketing to build your cash buyer’s list.
Offline Ways to Find Real Estate Cash Buyers
The second way to build a cash buyer’s list is via offline marketing.
Let’s learn some offline marketing techniques to increase your buyer’s list.
(18) Local Radio or TV Ads: I don’t do this but I know people that have and it works. My radio equivalent is Podcast shows. Me and Paul have been on some shows with many listeners. After the show they called or emailed us after the Podcast.
(19) Newspaper or newsletter advertisements: posting an add in a local newspaper or a local REIAs newsletter are good ways to find buyers especially if you are in a rural market. You can also sponsor a REIA event or a meetup group.
(20) Mailing List: You can purchase different lists such as out of area owners or cash buyers. Then you mail a letter or postcard to recent cash buyers or out of area owners with multiple properties in an area. You can mail them a property you have for sale or let them know you have future house deals coming. When marketing your current property for sale make sure you tell people to join your cash buyer’s list. Below is an example from one of my postcards. I actually get a ton of cash buyers this way…they might not want my house I am selling now but they are interested in future houses I will have.
(22) Post Bandit Signs: When you have a property under contract, placing signs on the property and in the neighborhood of the property will always get your phone ringing. Some of the calls will be new cash buyers.
(23) Call Bandit Signs: if you are driving around call the other “We Buy Houses” bandit signs. Most will be real estate wholesalers, but some will wholesale and actually buy houses.
In Person Ways to Find Real Estate Cash Buyers
You learned online and offline marketing ways to increase your cash buyer’s list, now let’s learn strategic networking.
So How do you find cash buyers in person to add to your buyers list?
(24) Local REIA: You can attend local REIAs to network with other real estate investors. So join your local REIA. If you need to find where one is in your area, Google REIA and your area. A list will come up. There is a broad spectrum of investors at the main meetings. You’ll meet people that have never done a deal to people that have been real estate investing for 40+ years. I have bought and sold houses with people from my local REIAs.
Before you attend any networking event I recommend you have goals. For example “I want to meet at least 7 active cash buyers tonight and add them to my list”. With anything in business you need goals. If you have experience in real estate investing and a good story that can educate people, ask to speak at a REIA main event or a subgroup. That will get you a lot of exposure quickly.
(25) MeetUp.com: There are other real estate meetings in your area as well. I used meetup.com to find them. Just search real estate investing in your city and you find other meetings to attend as well. Since I am nationwide, I won’t be in person but I call people and introduce myself.
In addition to real estate meetings, look to network with other industry professionals:
- (26) Self-directed IRA meetings
- (27) Accountants
- (28) BNI
(29) Closing Attorney or Title Company: contact the title companies you use and see if they have any cash buyer clients that would be interested in your wholesale property.
(30) For Rent Ads: I mentioned GoSection8 earlier and this is the same tactic. Look in newspapers, Craigslit, Facebook Marketplace, etc. for properties that are for rent. Call these people and ask if they are interested in purchasing your property for sale and add them to your cash buyer’s list.
(31) Auctions: Each month or quarter your local county will have Sheriff Sales and annually or semi-annual they will have Tax Sales. A sheriff's sale is a public auction sale of property held by the sheriff pursuant to a writ (or a court order) of execution to seize and sell the property and to satisfy (aka pay) a judgment, after notice to the public. The highest bidder is required to immediately submit ten percent of the winning bid while at the auction. The rest of the money must be paid to the Sheriff's Office no later than thirty days following the auction. If the money is not paid, the house/property will be auctioned off at the next sale. Go to these local auctions and look for the players (or people actually bidding) and find out where they buy and what they buy.
(32) Join Mastermind or coaching groups: Me and Paul wholesale nationwide we join invitation only mastermind groups. We pay $5,000 to $25,000+ to join one but it pays for itself quickly. We have a great real estate network of buyers across the country through mastermind groups.
(33) Hard Money Lenders: They advertise at local networking events, real estate newsletters, or just Google search Hard Money Lenders and your area. Call them or email them with your wholesale property. They will have cash buyer clients that will be interested.
(34) Local Real Estate Agents: This is easier to do if you purchased your wholesale property already and still haven’t found a buyer. Have your virtual assistant find all the local real estate agents and their contact information. Then you can email them your property for sale and tell them you will pay 2-3% commission if they have a buyer.
So this is how I find cash buyers nationwide and in new markets all the time.
Which of these methods do you use?
Is there any that I missed? If so let me know.
To watch a video on article, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZPBbu2I50